Contract: Permanent, Part-Time
Hours of work: 16 hours per week, Mondays & Tuesdays 8.30am-5.30pm + 11 additional hours per month (usually weekends)
Location: SPCA Christchurch Centre
Have you been seeking the next step in your career? A role that will make the most of your clinical experience? Do you find personal satisfaction in helping animals that are most in need?
We are currently seeking a qualified Veterinarian to join the team at our on-site SPCA Veterinary Clinic on a part time basis.
The role offers a great work environment with a highly experienced team of veterinary nurses and support staff, interesting medical & surgical cases and loads of experience with routine procedures.
This is your chance to make an exciting, possibly long-considered move from private practice to shelter medicine! This role provides both a unique personal challenge and satisfaction in the knowledge that you will make a real difference to the animals of New Zealand that need our help and care.
What we can offer you
o An amazing opportunity to use your clinical skills in a shelter environment and make a real difference to New Zealand’s animals
o A workplace that provides the highest standards to all animals that need our care, including excellent treatment protocols, strict hygiene standards and fear free handling
o A highly experienced, friendly & passionate team of veterinary nurses and support staff, who always have your back
o Normal business hours and regular breaks, with no late evenings.
o A hygienic, well laid out hospital that is equipped with a large open-plan prep room/non-sterile area, two roomy surgical theatres, separate cat and dog wards, IDEXX in-house lab diagnostic suite, high speed dental equipment and a dental x-ray unit, ultrasound, digital x-ray unit, and easy to use veterinary software
o Generous CPD benefits to encourage and assist vets to follow their passions
o Attractive salary to work for the leading animal charity in New Zealand
o Onsite free parking
Our ideal candidate will:
• Be a fully qualified Veterinarian, with current professional registration
• Have experience in clinical practice
• Have experience and efficiency in surgical procedures, both routine and non-routine
• Confidence and experience in handling a wide variety of animals (domestic, un-socialised and wildlife)
• Be able to prioritise and effectively manage workloads.
• Have sufficient computer skills; previous experience with Ezyvet software would be an advantage.
• Have the ability to work in an environment that changes every day, and be passionate about both people and animals.
· Experience or understanding of Shelter medicine is preferred, but not essential
· A sound understanding of, and empathy with, the goals and values of the SPCA
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand, with a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare since 1872. To find out more about us, go here https://www.spca.nz/what-we-do.
Does this sound like the ideal role for you? If you match the above criteria, please apply now! Please ensure you include a cover letter explaining why you would like to work for the SPCA and what you can bring to our organisation. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Applications close on 19 February 2023.