Research Librarian, Research and Library Services
Crown Law | Te Tari Ture o te Karauna
Permanent and Fixed Term/Secondment opportunities available
Mō mātou | About us
Crown Law provides legal advice and representation services to the government in matters affecting the executive government, particularly in the areas of criminal, public law and Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Crown Law’s vision is building a better Aotearoa through responsible, lawful government.
Mō te Tūranga | About the Role
Crown Law’s Research and Library Services Team provides an authoritative, reliable, and timely research and library service
s to legal and support staff. The Library is responsible for managing the physical and online collections and providing the expertise of the best Law Librarians.
We are seeking two proactive Research Librarians to join our dynamic team in the Wellington Office.
One position is an exciting new role within the Team which is permanent and full time.
The second position is a secondment or fixed term opportunity to cover a 12-month parental leave vacancy.
The central focus of the Research Librarian role is:
- Providing legal research;
- Compiling legislative histories, literature reviews and media searches;
- Creating and maintaining online current awareness services;
- Delivering timely and targeted training of library resources;
- Creating and updating content on the Library intranet.
You will have a demonstrable knowledge of New Zealand legal resources and have an understanding of government and parliamentary processes.
To really shine in this role, you need to be self-motivated, enthusiastic and enjoy working collegially and working on your own. You will have a high level of initiative and excellent attention to detail and be willing to go the extra mile to ensure success. Excellent time management, communication and problem-solving skills are also essential. You will excel at taking on the challenges of new tasks and learning as you go.
The ideal candidate will have a degree and a tertiary library qualification (or working towards one) and have experience providing research in a legal or client-centred environment. Exceptional candidates with an equivalent level of work experience and knowledge or a law qualification will also be considered. Familiarity with GeniePlus or a similar Library system would be advantageous.
Crown Law embraces diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace. We recognise and celebrate the uniqueness of individuals and celebrate the collective talent of all employees. We also support flexible working arrangements to enable us to be at our best.
For more information on the role, please refer to the attached position description.
This position is based in the Wellington Office.
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe |Why you should join our team
- You will be a member of a highly-valued team within Crown Law involved in delivering cutting-edge research in range of subject areas including Te Tiriti o Waitangi, constitutional law, public law, human rights, environmental and criminal law
- Our team is fast-paced and works in a collaborative style
- We offer you professional development opportunities, including te reo Māori and in-house education seminars
- This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who wants to develop their career as a Research Librarian.
Ngā ture e pā ana ki te Mate Urutā | COVID-19 vaccination requirements
Crown Law strongly encourages its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. As a part of the job application process, we ask that applicants voluntarily disclose their vaccination status. Where disclosed, the information is held anonymously, without names. The reason for this is so that we are able to keep sight of our organisational vaccination baseline over coming months, as the COVID-19 environment continues to change at pace.
Tēnā tonoa mai | Apply Now
To be considered for a position at Crown Law you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand and are required to complete a Ministry of Justice Criminal Records Check.
All applications should include a covering letter, curriculum vitae and academic transcript.
Please reference which position you are applying for:
- Research Librarian – Permanent
- Research Librarian – 12-month Parental Leave vacancy
We welcome secondments for the Parental Leave vacancy.
Applications close at 5pm on Friday, 7 October 2022.