Port Otago Group’s business comprises a regional container terminal, bulk port activities, cruise (on hold) and property investment and development. We service South Canterbury, Otago and Southland, working with customers to streamline their supply chains. Our culture is hands-on, safety focused and encourages continuous improvement.
We are seeking applications for both men and women who are interested in joining our Port Otago casual workers pool, gaining experience across various types of work to assist us with peak demands.
So, what will I be doing?
As a member of the Casual Pool team you will trained in a variety of tasks. Depending on your skills and experience you will be allocated to at least one of the following pools:
· Supply Chain Casual Pool - you could be working within one of our various warehouses – Port Chalmers, Sawyers Bay, Mosgiel and Dunedin Cold Stores, and duties may include warehouse tally clerk, labelling, packing and may also include forklift operation (if competent), handling a variety of products.
· Operations Casual Pool - you will be working alongside our Vessel Operations Team as a Lasher. You need to be physically fit as some of the duties involve handling “lashing bars” that can weigh up to 25kgs. You could be working on the wharf or working on board vessels to load and secure containers.
· Safety Casual Pool - Within our Safety Team you will be working as a Port Protection Officer assisting with Security Support. You will be the first point of contact for all visitors to our Port both land and waterside, responsible for providing various security, customer service and safety duties associated with the day to day running of our Gatehouse and Satellite Sites.
What hours and shifts will I work?
Your work will be irregular with no set shifts; therefore, this role will be best suited to individuals seeking occasional work which they can fit around other responsibilities.
Hours of work and shifts will depend on the work area you are assigned too, and additional hours may also be required to meet operational requirements. We are a 24/7 operation and our labour allocation is based around shipping schedules.
We are seeking people who can work if required across any of the days of the week and shifts – 7am – 3pm, 3pm – 11pm and 11pm – 7am and 12-hour shifts in our Supply Chain and Safety teams.
Some of the qualities we are looking for:
· A strong commitment to Health & Safety – not afraid to speak up and act immediately if something is wrong.
· A demonstrated strong work ethic, availability, attendance, timekeeping skills, and a team player
· Safety is our #1 priority and therefore you must be able to pass Ministry of Justice, ACC checks and a medical which includes a drug and alcohol test.
· A high standard of safety - not afraid to speak up
· A full clean NZ Drivers licence
· We are a 24/7 operation, and we are seeking people who can work across all days and shifts
· Although heavy lifting isn’t a requirement, if you have the ability to that’s a bonus!
· Port Otago also conducts random drug and alcohol tests on an on-going basis
Please apply directly via our Port Otago website to ensure your application is completed in full www.portotago.co.nz/careers
Please ensure that you include a copy of your up to date CV along with your application.
Applications close Friday 11 February 2022