Mō mātou: About us
Welcome to our wild party! At Wellington Zoo we are guided by our kaupapa “Me tiaki, kia ora!”, we care about making connections between animals, people, and our environment. We punch above our weight in leading the way through connecting people with animals, saving animals in the wild and ensuring we’re a voice to be heard.
Mō te tūranga: About the role
We have 2 permanent full-time positions available for experienced Keepers. You could find yourself in either Ectotherms and Birds; Mammals (a mixed Carnivores and Ungulates team) or Primates. If you have a preference, please make sure to let us know in your application.
This role works on a rotating roster (Monday to Sunday) including some weekends and public holidays, with shifts starting at 8am until 5pm, with an hour for lunch.
He kōrero mōu: About you
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience in the best-practice husbandry of a range of zoo taxa.
- Relevant bachelor’s degree and/or Certificate in Zoo Animal Management and/or relevant equivalent experience.
- Proven ability to carry out and supervise daily keeping duties to a high standard ensuring all husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Experience in operational training/conditioning and behavioural enrichment.
- Effective communication skills and able to perform close encounters and keeper talks.
- Experience providing supervision, guidance, and support to junior members of the team and the ability to effectively train colleagues in specialist skills
- Strong organisational skills, aptitude for creative problem-solving and ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Commitment to and understanding of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums strategies for Animal Welfare and Conservation.
- Prior ZIMS record keeping experience would be useful.
- A good level of fitness due to the nature and requirements of the role (and our terrain – we are on a hill).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What we offer
- Inclusive and supportive colleagues and managers.
- Zoo uniform provided including boots.
- Five days Conservation Volunteering Leave per year of employment to work on a conservation project.
- Sick leave entitlement of 15 days from the start of employment.
- An extra accrued week of annual leave after 5 years continuous service.
- Zoo product discounts.
- Annual flu vaccinations.
- Free parking.
- Salary above the NZ median wage starting from NZ$64,000.00
- Be part of a passionate and committed team dedicated to animal welfare, sustainability initiatives, community engagement and conservation outcomes.
- Applicants for this position should have or be able to attain NZ residency or a valid NZ work permit.
- If successful you will be required to undergo a police background check and pre-employment drug and alcohol checks (which we will arrange).
- While preference will be given to New Zealand citizens or residents, we are keen to hear from anyone qualified for the role and interested in working with us.
Wellington Zoo wants a diverse workforce that reflects Aotearoa New Zealand. We have our Rainbow Tick certification, and are committed to accepting, valuing, and embracing the diversity of all people.
Applications close: NZT 5:00pm Thursday 7 March 2024