Contract: Permanent, Full Time
Hours of Work: Tuesday - Saturday 8am - 4.30pm (40 hours per week)
Location: SPCA Renwick Centre
About the role:
You will be responsible for ensuring that all animals housed in the Canine Units are provided with the five freedoms outlined in the Animal Welfare Act 1999. Providing for the physical health and behavioural needs of these animals housed at the centre, ensuring that their environment and care is maintained to the highest standards.
Part of this role involves elements of customer service, including the processing of any canine applications for adoption.
The role will also support the Centre Manager as required by ensuring the efficient and effective operation of the animal centre and that Centre standards are maintained.
What we can offer you
· Make an actual difference for New Zealand’s animals
· Work with highly passionate people
· Onsite parking
What we need from you
Our ideal candidate will have:
· A certificate in animal care or equivalent
· Qualifications or relevant experience in the animal care/welfare industry
· Experience in handling companion animals, preferably in a shelter environment is desired.
· Experience in Animal drug administration would be an advantage
· A sound understanding of animal behaviour – normal v abnormal
· Confidence in handling companion animals displaying a range of temperaments
· An understanding of Contagious and Zoonotic diseases is desirable
· Be customer service focused
· Ability to work effectively without supervision and effectively prioritise daily tasks.
· Ability to receive and give appropriate effective advice, input and feedback.
· Excellent interpersonal skills – communicate effectively with customers, volunteers and other employees.
· Demonstrated strengths in accuracy, precision and attention to detail.
· Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as to work alone.
· Ability to manage confidential information with responsibility and integrity.
· Demonstrated flexibility and adaptability (will include flexibility of hours)
· Highly organised with the ability to prioritise, multi task and meet expected deadlines
· Ability to manage stress and handle emotional situations while retaining empathy
· Ability to work in all weather conditions and work in the field which requires physical fitness
Who we are:
SPCA is one of the best loved and most respected charities in New Zealand, with a proud history of helping animals in need and advocating for animal welfare since 1872. To find out more about us, go here https://www.spca.nz/what-we-do.
Does this sound like the ideal role for you? If you match the above criteria, please apply now! Applications without a cover letter stating why you feel you are suited to this role, will NOT be considered.
Applications close on 31st January 2022.
SPCA strongly encourages all new employees to have the Covid-19 vaccination.